Republican's answer to health care

The Druids Grove combined Off Topic Forum. Politics, science, random oddities - discuss them all here. - Low Moderation
Fyyr

Re: Republican's answer to health care

Post by Fyyr »

While christians certainly do cost the system extra money with their mythology, I don't think it is anywhere the third, or more, of total healthcare costs that lawyers cost us.

Gardasil not being a mandatory vaccination, for example, the costs are real but intangible. This is a hugely beneficial vaccine, but is opposed by christians because they believe that people SHOULD contract disease if they have sex. This vaccine is safe and should be mandatory just like all the other vaccines, for boys as well as girls.

The christian belief that people SHOULD die of AIDs if they have sex, is one of the biggest reason why the disease is still widespread in the US.
As healthcare professions, we are required by Federal Law to allow the transmission of HIV between people. Any rational system based on providing good healthcare would seek to prevent the spread of the disease. We don't, and we can place half the blame on evangelicals.
Tudamorf

Re: Republican's answer to health care

Post by Tudamorf »

Fyyr wrote:While christians certainly do cost the system extra money with their mythology, I don't think it is anywhere the third, or more, of total healthcare costs that lawyers cost us.
I don't know about that.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... betes-belt
County-Level "Diabetes Belt" Carves a Swath through U.S. South

Going past national statistics, a new map shows more than 640 counties in mostly southern states had higher-than-average rates of diabetes, suggesting the need for more targeted prevention

More than 18 million people in the U.S. have been diagnosed with diabetes, which costs an estimated $174 billion annually. Typically, local public health agencies carry out the initiatives to manage and prevent this chronic disease, but because prevalence figures are generally given on national and state levels, local workers cannot gain the traction—and funding—to rein in rates in their areas.

A new study drills down to the county level, revealing wide disparities within states and striking national patterns.
Compare the "Diabetes Belt":
With the "Bible Belt":

It's an 11th Commandment, I tell you.