Military Expenditures

The Druids Grove combined Off Topic Forum. Politics, science, random oddities - discuss them all here. - Low Moderation
Fyyr

Re: Military Expenditures

Post by Fyyr »

You liberals bitch and moan about how much this rocket, or that humvee costs.

How much does that Enfamil cost? Going to some fucking brat, that I did not breed. With some father who does not want to feed his own fucking brat?

I am paying for the Enfamil.

At least I should get is a little respect out of the deal.

But I dont.
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

Fyyr wrote:Military spending is one of the only real Constitutional reasons to spend money.

Paying to feed Tyrone's baby, who knocked up Latisha,,,,,That's not really Constitutional.
Article 1, Section 8: "The Congress shall have Power To . . . provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States."

(Maybe that was edited out of the new Libertarian revised edition of the Constitution?)
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

Fyyr wrote:You liberals bitch and moan about how much this rocket, or that humvee costs.

How much does that Enfamil cost? Going to some fucking brat, that I did not breed. With some father who does not want to feed his own fucking brat?

I am paying for the Enfamil.

At least I should get is a little respect out of the deal.

But I dont.
What about all of the rich people who are paying far more to support you? You don't seem to respect them.
erianaiel

Post by erianaiel »

Fyyr wrote: What is Saudi Arabia up to?
that 10pct includes public order and safety, so that is including their police, torturers and self appointed religious and moral guardians.

Eri
erianaiel

Post by erianaiel »

Gunny Burlfoot wrote: It's not free; for women, it's a 229.8% return on every dollar you put in.
That kind of is the whole point of insurances. A lot of people all pay a relatively small amount of money into the system so that a few can benefit from it (to pay expenses that are far in excess of what anybody who is not bill gates can reasonably expected to put aside in savings).

Eri
erianaiel

Post by erianaiel »

Tudamorf wrote:
Zute wrote:Medicare is paid for by payroll taxes isn't it? I've been paying into it all my working life, just like SS. I don't quite see how you can call it free.
Because current users paid next to nothing back in the day when they were working -- if they were working at all -- since the tax rate back in the day was much lower.

Furthermore, today there is no income cap on the tax, meaning you pay 2.9 cents out of every dollar of profit you make into the system. So unlike Social Security, rich people pay a disproportionately high amount.

In other words, Medicare is currently supported by rich people who are not eligible for it, not by the former contributions of those who are.
That is not excessive but simply a flat tax. People who have a lot of money can contribute more in absolute sense, but contribute exactly the same percentage as everybody else (assuming of course they do not use the many loopholes that allow part or all of their wealth to be sheltered from taxation). If you look at it from a point of view of percentage relative to the necessities then they in a sense pay less than poorer people. 3 pct off an income that barely covers the costs of food, clothes and housing leaves no disposable income. For somebody who earns twice that it is of no consequence.
Which is why many countries actually have a progressive taxation scheme (where the income is divided in tiers with increasing taxat percentages applied).

Also, you do forget that while the rich people pay a higher amount individually, there also are fewer of them so the real cost probably will be born by the middle incomes (as usual). Unless the USA already is a lot further down the road to an african economy where a tiny fraction of the population pretty much owns the country and the vast majority lives in poverty.

Eri
erianaiel

Post by erianaiel »

Fyyr wrote:I have an innate, and real problem with working to feed the kids of other men, who have no intention on feeding their own kids.

Call me extreme if you like.. but in my book, that's stealing.
And not paying for that, in my book, is murder.

The child after all has little influence over the action of its father but by your logic will be the one to bear the consequences.

Eri
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

erianaiel wrote:Also, you do forget that while the rich people pay a higher amount individually, there also are fewer of them so the real cost probably will be born by the middle incomes (as usual).
Hardly. Medicare raked in $820 billion in 2010. If you do the math and consider a 2.9% tax rate, you'll see that it's obvious that rich people are overwhelmingly responsible for funding the system.

The average adjusted gross income in the U.S. is about $33,000, over 144 million returns. Tax each of them at 2.9% and you'll come up with only 17% of what Medicare actually earned.

Rich people, almost all of whom are NOT currently eligible for Medicare, are the ones funding the system.
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

erianaiel wrote:
Fyyr wrote:I have an innate, and real problem with working to feed the kids of other men, who have no intention on feeding their own kids.

Call me extreme if you like.. but in my book, that's stealing.
And not paying for that, in my book, is murder.
Wait a minute. You're saying, you're guilty of murder for every kid who dies in Africa or Haiti and whom you could've helped?

Wow.
Zute

Post by Zute »

Percentage wise rich people are paying less in taxes than the people mopping the floors of their businesses. That's a paraphrased quote from Warren Buffet, who thinks rich people should be taxed more they presently are.
Formerly known as Panamah