Bigger Hypocrites than Christians/"Republicans"?

The Druids Grove combined Off Topic Forum. Politics, science, random oddities - discuss them all here. - Low Moderation
Fyyr

Re: Bigger Hypocrites than Christians/"Republicans"?

Post by Fyyr »

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

Fyyr wrote:Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Your right to assembly (which is essentially identical to your right to free speech) does NOT allow you to destroy property, to commit acts of violence, or to create makeshift ghettos in public spaces.

Restrictions on the time, place, and manner in which you can speak aren't subject to the same legal scrutiny as restrictions on the content of speech.

These laws are constitutional, and if you violate them, the police is going to arrest you, by force. That's their job.

What part of this don't you understand?
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

Fyyr wrote:More pro Wall Street police brutality...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjnR7xET ... r_embedded#!
If a group of protesters blocked the road to your house, what would you do?
AbyssalMage

Post by AbyssalMage »

Tudamorf wrote:
Fyyr wrote:Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Your right to assembly (which is essentially identical to your right to free speech) does NOT allow you to destroy property, to commit acts of violence, or to create makeshift ghettos in public spaces.

Restrictions on the time, place, and manner in which you can speak aren't subject to the same legal scrutiny as restrictions on the content of speech.

These laws are constitutional, and if you violate them, the police is going to arrest you, by force. That's their job.

What part of this don't you understand?
For me personally, I guess the whole part of making a law that restricts my time to protest. I mean, I have the right to peaceably assemble between 6 am - 10 pm (Most public parks use these times, not all, but most) and the Constitution saying, "Congress (So state/city laws are under this jurisdiction) shall make no laws..." that restricts that right. I mean, you quoted it after all.

So your interpretation of the Constitution reads, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. Between the hours of 6 am and 10 pm". And Conservatives say Liberals are rewriting the Constitution... LoL

p.s. Both parties rewrite it but at least some admit it. You should look in the mirror some time Tudamorf :roll:
AbyssalMage

Post by AbyssalMage »

Tudamorf wrote:
Fyyr wrote:More pro Wall Street police brutality...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjnR7xET ... r_embedded#!
If a group of protesters blocked the road to your house, what would you do?
Well, if we didn't live in a nanny state...I would run the SoB's over. Bet you weren't expecting that were you? But, considering we do, I would wait for them to move or go around them.
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

AbyssalMage wrote:Well, if we didn't live in a nanny state...I would run the SoB's over.
So you would run them over. The Egyptian police shoot or tear gas protesters and set fire to their tents. The Syrians just start shooting.

Police here used pepper spray to break up an illegal protest, which is probably the mildest tactic available.

I wonder what Fyyr would do, if Al Gore's Climate Change Warriors set up tents and blocked the road to his house 24/7, demanding a tax on the medical profession to fund global warming efforts. And trashing the place while they're at it, requiring another tax increase to pay for the maintenance.

When both of you have a better suggestion, you'll have a right to criticize the police.
Fyyr

Post by Fyyr »

The protest is not illegal.

Suggestion? Stay at home. Go get some donuts. The police brutality is providing the inertia and energy for the movement now. If they had stayed at home, the OWS protestors would have got bored, went home, smoked some weed and watched Cartoon Network.

This is and was all completely predictable. The cops have fed this movement and are making it viable and sustainable. They will continue to feed it, and it will get bigger.

And I hope it does.
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

Fyyr wrote:The protest is not illegal.
The protest is not illegal, but the way they're going about it is.

If I choose to protest something by pitching a tent in your living room, are you going to sit there and wait for me to get bored and leave when I want to?
Fyyr wrote:This is and was all completely predictable. The cops have fed this movement and are making it viable and sustainable. They will continue to feed it, and it will get bigger.
Yes, some of the protesters are simply attention whores, and the police and the media are feeding it. But what you're not noticing is that many are leaving, the camps are getting smaller, and public support is completely dropping away.

The movement is not getting bigger, it's getting smaller and louder. And it will be dead in short order, once the media gets bored with them and stops giving them attention.
erianaiel

Post by erianaiel »

Tudamorf wrote:
Fyyr wrote:The protest is not illegal.
The protest is not illegal, but the way they're going about it is.
I may have been mistaken, but I believe that Zucoti park was private property that was mandated to be open to the public by local government regulation. There were no limitations in effect that restricted its access to certain hours (unlike most of the municipal and public parks in the city). In other words, the park was part of the city pedestrian network even though private property, and as such had to be accessible at all times.

Also, you are hammering on the point that the protestors made access/passage impossible but every reasonably independent report (not sponsored by the corporations opposed to OWS on ideological grounds) made specifically clear that everybody could enter the park and pass through it without being stopped or harassed. In fact they welcomed everybody to enter the park and join in. You repeating the 'obstruction' at every possible opportunity does not make it true, sorry.
If I choose to protest something by pitching a tent in your living room, are you going to sit there and wait for me to get bored and leave when I want to?
This particular protest is not remotely like that. Your living room is private property that is closed to the public, unlike Zucoti park.
The closest analogy is that they were camping in the playground across the street.
The movement is not getting bigger, it's getting smaller and louder. And it will be dead in short order, once the media gets bored with them and stops giving them attention.
I presume you consider that a good thing? Rather than looking at the problems this movement drew our collective attention to?
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

erianaiel wrote:There were no limitations in effect that restricted its access to certain hours (unlike most of the municipal and public parks in the city).
In each case, there are local laws prohibiting you from pitching a tent and setting up an encampment in a public park. (If there weren't, our parks would be quickly overrun with homeless, and in fact a large number of the so-called Occupy protesters are just homeless looking for a safe encampment.)

What they are doing is ILLEGAL, there is absolutely no question about that. That is why they're being arrested. Not because of the content of their speech.
erianaiel wrote:Rather than looking at the problems this movement drew our collective attention to?
All this movement is doing now, is drawing attention to the problems of the movement. Every headline is about they trashed this area, or camped that area and had to be arrested.

Everyone is sick of them. No one knows or cares what their message is. I doubt even they know, they're just protesting because they're unemployed attention-seeking losers.