Bigger Hypocrites than Christians/"Republicans"?

The Druids Grove combined Off Topic Forum. Politics, science, random oddities - discuss them all here. - Low Moderation
AbyssalMage

Re: Bigger Hypocrites than Christians/"Republicans"?

Post by AbyssalMage »

Tudamorf wrote:
AbyssalMage wrote:Well, if we didn't live in a nanny state...I would run the SoB's over.
So you would run them over. The Egyptian police shoot or tear gas protesters and set fire to their tents. The Syrians just start shooting.

Police here used pepper spray to break up an illegal protest, which is probably the mildest tactic available.
And both of those countries they didn't have Federal protection to do such things. I wasn't surprised it happened and I wasn't appalled by the reaction of "The State." Hell, people get all bent out of shape when China treats their citizens like crap when they protest. If you protest in China, you should know what you are getting yourself into.

In America, we are allowed to protest, Its a Constitutional Right. So if your getting peppered sprayed because the county, city, or federal government doesn't like that you are practicing your Federally Mandated Right, they shouldn't be surprised that people will protest harder and they will get bad publicity.

Oh, and the "I told you so moment...." It was only a matter of time before video footage started leaking of police brutality in the OWS camps. Granted it is only a small percentage, much like the anarchists who have also infiltrated these camps have done. But it was only a matter of time. And look how the coverage has gone from public condemnation of the OWS movement to gradual support/sympathy.
I wonder what Fyyr would do, if Al Gore's Climate Change Warriors set up tents and blocked the road to his house 24/7, demanding a tax on the medical profession to fund global warming efforts. And trashing the place while they're at it, requiring another tax increase to pay for the maintenance.
Fyyr would have to comment on this one personally.
When both of you have a better suggestion, you'll have a right to criticize the police.
I already stated what the police should of done. The total opposite (but predictable) path they did choose is causing them to lose public support while giving the OWS movement new energy.
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

AbyssalMage wrote:In America, we are allowed to protest, Its a Constitutional Right
The right to protest -- to free speech -- is not absolute, and does not trump everyone else's rights.

I have a right to protest, but not by pitching a tent in your living room. If I attempt to protest in your living room, you have the right to call the police, and they have to right to take me, by force, away from there, even if I go kicking and screaming "but it's a PROTEST!".

There is always a balancing process, between your rights, and the rights of others.

You can't break a content-neutral law, one that doesn't regulate speech directly -- such as, no camping in public parks -- by slapping the label 'protest' on your encampment. That is not how the Constitution works, according to the U.S. Supreme Court. The founding fathers were not that stupid.

No one is restricting this group's right to protest, or their right to speak. But the fact that they're protesting doesn't mean they have a free pass to violate any law they choose, and when they violate those laws, we will take them, by force, and they will have earned it.
Fyyr

Post by Fyyr »

Fyyr would have to comment on this one personally.
He uses analogies which are not accurate, or even close to the situation. He just makes them up, serving his own design. They are poorly designed, and they need no comment other than to discuss how meaningless and useless they are.

Speakers(writers) use analogies convincingly only against stupid and uneducated audiences. Smart and educated audiences require discussion of the topic usually describing of what is, or what is not; not hypothetical absurd situational analogies.

Analogies,

A horse is to zebra, as dog is to wolf.
A glove is to hand, as shoe is to foot.

Those are good analogies.
His is so absurd and uneducated, it required no comment to it itself.
Fyyr

Post by Fyyr »

"unemployed attention-seeking losers."

It has moved to the schools now. It will grow there.

UC Berkley, UC Davis, UC Riverside are full of losers, ayup.
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

Fyyr wrote:He uses analogies which are not accurate,
It's not an analogy.

It's the same situation, except moved to an area where it affects you directly.
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

Fyyr wrote:It has moved to the schools now. It will grow there.
They were protesting tuition increases. It's not even the same protest. It's a copycat protest, and the reason why months from now no one will remember or care about it.
Fyyr

Post by Fyyr »

Tudamorf wrote:It's not an analogy.
Of course it is.
It's the same situation, except moved to an area where it affects you directly.
No it is not. I am not even in the medical field. Your hypothetical absurd scenario would not affect me directly or indirectly.
Fyyr

Post by Fyyr »

Tudamorf wrote:
Fyyr wrote:It has moved to the schools now. It will grow there.
They were protesting tuition increases. It's not even the same protest. It's a copycat protest, and the reason why months from now no one will remember or care about it.
When the Chancellors of UC schools make $800K per year the students should be protesting tuition increases.

These people are CEOs of schools.

It is the same cause. Rich people using cops to enforce their authority and power over the poor, that is the same cause.
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

Fyyr wrote:When the Chancellors of UC schools make $800K per year the students should be protesting tuition increases.
What's missing in your argument is causation.

The chancellor of UC Davis makes $400K. UC Davis has over 32,000 students. If the chancellor made nothing and all that money were used to lower tuition, each student would get a discount of about $12.

In other words, their rising tuition has nothing to do with the chancellor's salary, and everything to do with inflation and lower government subsidies. The mess they're creating with their idiotic riots is going to do more to raise their fees than any chancellor's salary.

No one is putting a gun to their head and forcing them to go to UC Davis. If they think $12K per year tuition is too expensive, they can go to a private college, that I and the other California taxpayers don't subsidize, and that will charge them three times as much.

Or maybe we, the taxpayers, should protest the fact that these losers (and yes, there are plenty of losers on UC campuses) are wasting our money.
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

Fyyr wrote:
Tudamorf wrote:It's not an analogy.
Of course it is.
No it isn't, but I'll put it to you differently: if these rioters were physically obstructing your way to work, or home, or wherever you needed to be, and you, personally, had to write a check to clean up after them, what would you do?

It's not analogy, it's a hypothetical question based on a real situation.