Some people forgot their History lessons

The Druids Grove combined Off Topic Forum. Politics, science, random oddities - discuss them all here. - Low Moderation
AbyssalMage

Some people forgot their History lessons

Post by AbyssalMage »

NYPD Monitors Muslim Students

Change this to "African American" and we cover most of US history.

Change this to "Japanese" and we have the era right after Pearl Harbor.

American's I guess are doomed to be xenophobic even after these and other lessons :evil: .

The worst part is some American's are too dumb to realize this shouldn't be acceptable behavior by any law enforcement to target people by their race or religious beliefs. They should all have their badges removed for collecting evidence against civilians whose only crime was their religion or color.
Tudamorf

Re: Some people forgot their History lessons

Post by Tudamorf »

AbyssalMage wrote:NYPD Monitors Muslim Students

Change this to "African American" and we cover most of US history.

Change this to "Japanese" and we have the era right after Pearl Harbor.
"Muslim," however, is a choice, as is supporting/joining a student group of Muslim activists.

No matter how much brainwashing you suffered as a child, as an adult you still have a choice to reject these barbaric philosophies.

Would you feel the same way if, instead of monitoring Muslim extremist groups, the NYPD were monitoring neo-Nazi groups?
AbyssalMage

Post by AbyssalMage »

Tudamorf wrote: "Muslim," however, is a choice, as is supporting/joining a student group of Muslim activists.

No matter how much brainwashing you suffered as a child, as an adult you still have a choice to reject these barbaric philosophies.
And you know this religion is barbaric how? What scientifically constitutes "barbaric"? Can it be that its the leaders, as human being, and not the religions fault, for why its "barbaric", if that is what it is? Has history seen other religions act "barbaric" like you think the Muslim religion is? If you can find other examples of "Barbarism" in another religion, why do we not rally to their cause?
Would you feel the same way if, instead of monitoring Muslim extremist groups, the NYPD were monitoring neo-Nazi groups?
Well, you're almost thinking like and educated American. I would want them examining both of them. A neo-Nazi group who has established itself as more than just "words" is just as much a threat as an extremist religious group. NOTICE I said extremist religious group. Their are plenty of "Christian" based groups in America actively trying to overthrow America. It's the actions I want the government to investigate, not an organization affiliation. Like I said, this stinks of "Japanese, African-American" xenophobia. And their are plenty of other examples in our history of police investigating Americans for their views and not their actions.
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

AbyssalMage wrote:And you know this religion is barbaric how?
Are you kidding me?

They think flying planes into buildings to kill thousands of people is a religious virtue. That women should be kept in sacks and treated like cattle, because "god" says so. That "god" wants them to kill non-Muslims (and sacrifice themselves in the process).

Just today in Afghanistan they rioted and killed 7 people over an accidentally burned book.

Yes, that's barbaric.

Christians have done terrible things, but at least they've advanced beyond the Middle Ages. The Muslims are still stuck there.
AbyssalMage wrote:I would want them examining both of them. A neo-Nazi group who has established itself as more than just "words" is just as much a threat as an extremist religious group.
Today's neo-Nazi groups don't cause much trouble. But their philosophy is violent and dangerous, so yes, I want the police to keep tabs on them even though right now, they're only using words.

The only difference between the two situations is that the political correctness police have convinced you that it's bad to offend Muslims, but just fine to offend neo-Nazis. In reality it's just fine to offend both.
Zute

Post by Zute »

I think the "Tea Party" as a group needs monitoring. They seem almost as hateful as neo-Nazi groups at times.
Formerly known as Panamah
AbyssalMage

Post by AbyssalMage »

Tudamorf wrote:
AbyssalMage wrote:And you know this religion is barbaric how?
Are you kidding me?

They think flying planes into buildings to kill thousands of people is a religious virtue. That women should be kept in sacks and treated like cattle, because "god" says so. That "god" wants them to kill non-Muslims (and sacrifice themselves in the process).

Just today in Afghanistan they rioted and killed 7 people over an accidentally burned book.

Yes, that's barbaric.

Christians have done terrible things, but at least they've advanced beyond the Middle Ages. The Muslims are still stuck there.
Ever heard of Mob mentality? Japanese thought the same thing in the 1940's as they were losing the war. Hate to break it to you, there are Christians who treat women like "cattle" so it isn't only Muslims. Not to mention other religions have similar views. So again, quit stereotyping. Christians still sacrifice themselves in the name of Jesus Christ to wage Holy War. You just don't read about it because as a society we call them insane, not Christian. But we don't do the same thing for Muslim's? Why as a Christian society do we make excuses for our killers but not for Muslim's and other religions?
AbyssalMage wrote:I would want them examining both of them. A neo-Nazi group who has established itself as more than just "words" is just as much a threat as an extremist religious group.
Today's neo-Nazi groups don't cause much trouble. But their philosophy is violent and dangerous, so yes, I want the police to keep tabs on them even though right now, they're only using words.
They don't cause much trouble?!?!? :roll: :shock: :o :oops: Yeah, you need to get out more.
The only difference between the two situations is that the political correctness police have convinced you that it's bad to offend Muslims, but just fine to offend neo-Nazis. In reality it's just fine to offend both.
Why would I wrongly stereo type Muslim's? As a religion, they are no more dangerous than Christianity. The fact that you think neo-Nazi's "don't cause much trouble" speaks volumes about how little you know about extreme right wing Christian ideology in the US and abroad.
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

AbyssalMage wrote:Ever heard of Mob mentality?
Yes, it's common among politically correct types. Like you, in this thread.
AbyssalMage wrote:You just don't read about it because as a society we call them insane, not Christian.
We call them insane because, in our society, they are extremely uncommon and antisocial. Whereas, in Muslim countries such behavior is not only more extreme, but also common and socially accepted.

You're comparing our criminals to their heroes, as though they're the same thing. They're not.
AbyssalMage wrote:The fact that you think neo-Nazi's "don't cause much trouble" speaks volumes about how little you know about extreme right wing Christian ideology in the US and abroad.
They don't. For example, recently there was a neo-Nazi rally in Southern California, and although there was some rhetoric on both sides, the neo-Nazis were far better behaved than, for example, those in the (thankfully, now-dead) Occupy movement in Oakland.
erianaiel

Post by erianaiel »

Tudamorf wrote:Today's neo-Nazi groups don't cause much trouble. But their philosophy is violent and dangerous, so yes, I want the police to keep tabs on them even though right now, they're only using words.
I guess you missed Anders Breivik. 77 dead children is not quite 'just words'
Or a couple of decades of neo nazis murdering foreigners in Germany while the police was too busy monitoring those potential red radicals that one day might became another RAF or Baader-Meinhoff gruppe.

Abyssalmage, you might want to add 'Youths' to your list of groups that are treated as dangerous by the government, especially since the OWS movement sparked fear of a repeat of the hippies in their conservative and corporate hearts.

Regarding whether or not groups should be monitored, I am of mixed feelings about that. On the one side I feel government should not conduct trawling operations or blanket surveillance. On the other side you have to be realistic and accept that some low degree of monitoring is necessary to recognise those cases where a closer and more in depth monitoring is required before somebody goes off the deep end and empties several automatic rifles into crowds of teenagers.
The biggest problem is that neither computer, nor intelligence agencies nor police have shown being at all capable of such monitoring, and that the fear of missing 'the' clue leads to ever more excessive data gathering and monitoring. Big Brother is happening not out of a desire to create a totalitarian regime but out of fear of missing a potential terrorist or murderer.
AbyssalMage

Post by AbyssalMage »

erianaiel wrote:
Tudamorf wrote:Today's neo-Nazi groups don't cause much trouble. But their philosophy is violent and dangerous, so yes, I want the police to keep tabs on them even though right now, they're only using words.
I guess you missed Anders Breivik. 77 dead children is not quite 'just words'
Or a couple of decades of neo nazis murdering foreigners in Germany while the police was too busy monitoring those potential red radicals that one day might became another RAF or Baader-Meinhoff gruppe.

Abyssalmage, you might want to add 'Youths' to your list of groups that are treated as dangerous by the government, especially since the OWS movement sparked fear of a repeat of the hippies in their conservative and corporate hearts.

Regarding whether or not groups should be monitored, I am of mixed feelings about that. On the one side I feel government should not conduct trawling operations or blanket surveillance. On the other side you have to be realistic and accept that some low degree of monitoring is necessary to recognise those cases where a closer and more in depth monitoring is required before somebody goes off the deep end and empties several automatic rifles into crowds of teenagers.
The biggest problem is that neither computer, nor intelligence agencies nor police have shown being at all capable of such monitoring, and that the fear of missing 'the' clue leads to ever more excessive data gathering and monitoring. Big Brother is happening not out of a desire to create a totalitarian regime but out of fear of missing a potential terrorist or murderer.
Yeah, I could add "youth" or the "15-25" age group to the list of people the Government is afraid of considering how many laws in the last two decades are a direct result of politicians having a "knee jerk reaction" to them.
I'm not against monitoring of groups or individuals that may be suspects in an "imminent" crime (or suspects in a crime, that has happened, but they need to collect more evidence) but blanket sweeps I definitely have a problem with.