If you had a measly $10 billion dollars

The Druids Grove combined Off Topic Forum. Politics, science, random oddities - discuss them all here. - Low Moderation
Zute

If you had a measly $10 billion dollars

Post by Zute »

If you had 1/5th of Bill Gates fortune, about $10 billion dollars, and you invested it at 4% interest. How much money could you spend everyday without touching a penny of your principal for eternity?

a) $1,000 a day
b) $10,000 a day
c) $100,000 a day
d) $1,000,000 a day
Formerly known as Panamah
Fyyr

Re: If you had a measly $10 billion dollars

Post by Fyyr »

I pick D
Palarran

Post by Palarran »

D is correct.
Of course it'll slowly lose value unless it's invested at 4% over the interest rate.
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

A pointless question, since if you really had 1/5 of Bill Gates's fortune it wouldn't be in cash and you couldn't invest it in that manner anyway.

And for you Communists, no, he's not a bad guy just because he's rich. He has contributed more to society than about a million of the proletariat combined have.
Fyyr

Post by Fyyr »

True, I suppose.

Normal MS stock does not pay dividends(the 4% 'interest'). You actually need to sell out to collect anything from it.

And I would not say a million. Probably over 100 million proletariat combined.
Zute

Post by Zute »

A pointless question, since if you really had 1/5 of Bill Gates's fortune it wouldn't be in cash and you couldn't invest it in that manner anyway.
I'm sure he probably manages to make 4% above the rate of inflation. Heck, even I can do that most years.

Stocks, bonds, and most other investments turn into cash pretty quickly. Not that he'd need to do it daily.
Formerly known as Panamah
stormhaven
TDG Moderator
TDG Moderator

Post by stormhaven »

Fyyr wrote:True, I suppose.

Normal MS stock does not pay dividends(the 4% 'interest'). You actually need to sell out to collect anything from it.

And I would not say a million. Probably over 100 million proletariat combined.
Who told you MSFT doesn't pay dividends? It's been paying dividends since about 2003.