I'll bet many prostitutes would like to make $4 mil a night

The Druids Grove combined Off Topic Forum. Politics, science, random oddities - discuss them all here. - Low Moderation
Tudamorf

I'll bet many prostitutes would like to make $4 mil a night

Post by Tudamorf »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1HD2FH.DTL
Teen settles Richmond gang-rape claim: $4 million

(01-22) 12:48 PST Richmond -- A teenage girl who police say was gang-raped by a group of men outside a Richmond High School homecoming dance will receive $4 million to settle a civil claim in the case, school officials said today.

The alleged victim, who was 16 when she was attacked in October 2009, will receive $2.5 million immediately and the rest in structured amounts over 40 years. The district, which is not admitting any wrongdoing in the suit, will pay $100,000, said Marin Trujillo, a spokesman for the West Contra Costa Unified School District.

The remainder will be paid by insurance through a joint powers authority.

The Oct. 24, 2009, incident took place in a dimly lit courtyard of Richmond High and shocked the Bay Area. Police said the girl was punched, kicked, sexually assaulted and urinated on by a group of men, some of whom took cell phone pictures of the assault.

Six men were ordered in December to stand trial in the case. Defense attorneys have argued that the girl, whose blood-alcohol level was found to be more than four times the state's legal driving limit, wasn't forcibly raped but set upon by opportunistic men.
This is a local case where a girl got completely wasted at a high school dance, and went with a bunch of guys to a secluded area, at which point they all had sex with her.

Of course this being America, instead of looking to punish the people responsible, she looked for the deepest pocket to sue so as to profit off this episode. In this case it was the school district (i.e., the taxpayers), who agreed to pay her $4 million.

Four million dollars that we have to pay her (well, 2/3 to her, 1/3 to her lawyer) as a reward for exercising horrible judgment.

I'll bet many prostitutes would line up for the opportunity to make $4 million in just one night. Even if their pimp takes 1/3.

Just another example of how totally messed up our legal system is.

(Aidon still here? You know you want to post!)
Aidon

Re: I'll bet many prostitutes would like to make $4 mil a ni

Post by Aidon »

Ah, blame the victim...yes.

Tell me, Tudamorf, how much would you accept to let your daughter be gang-raped? (I love forums where I can use the golden rule!)

Schools have responsibility for the safety of the children entrusted into their care.
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

Aidon wrote:Ah, blame the victim...yes.
There's nothing wrong with blaming the victim, when the victim is stupid and irresponsible.

Lawyers do it all the time, like, blaming BP when one of their oil wells blows up in their face.

There IS something wrong with rewarding victims with huge sums of money, just because they were extraordinarily stupid.
Aidon wrote:Tell me, Tudamorf, how much would you accept to let your daughter be gang-raped? (I love forums where I can use the golden rule!)
She's getting it, not the father.

Walk into a high school in a low-income minority neighborhood (like Richmond) and start asking some of the 16-year-old girls whether they'd be willing to have sex with 6 guys one time for $4 million.

I'll bet you at least some will agree. They may be doing it already for free.
Fyyr

Post by Fyyr »

Aidon wrote:Ah, blame the victim...yes.
No, I think not.

We are blaming lawyers.