Tea Party v. Constitution

The Druids Grove combined Off Topic Forum. Politics, science, random oddities - discuss them all here. - Low Moderation
Tudamorf

Re: Tea Party v. Constitution

Post by Tudamorf »

Fyyr wrote:Modern day Christians eschew the Bishop's concern, and are trying to use that as an 'in', if you will, for instilling ID and Creationism in curricula, as well as being able to hand out bibles on public school campuses, etc. And this is the background that O'Donnell comes from, so it makes sense that she was trying to hedge here, albeit laughably.
You can't justify an establishment of religion on the grounds that it is simply a free exercise of your religion.

Anyone who thinks they can is possibly even more dangerous than clueless people like O'Donnell who are simply unaware of the rule against establishment of religion.
Fyyr wrote:I just think that if you underestimate these people, they will just get more Pandas and People books into schools, or whatever new plan they have hatching.
I am pretty sure that these people want Christ and Creationism taught in schools, they tried it in the 80s and 90s, they will try it again now.
Then why vote for them?
Fyyr

Post by Fyyr »

Who are you addressing?

I'm not voting for them.
I couldn't if I wanted to.
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

Fyyr wrote:Who are you addressing?
Tea party supporters. You sounded as though you might be one of them.

If you agree with me that this "party" is a farce, that will make for a fairly boring thread.
Fyyr

Post by Fyyr »

I support all parties which have a chance to chip away at the two majority parties. And the estimates that I've read, that there is a chance for about 7% of Congress to be tea party affiliated after this election.

I would never vote for ODonnell if I lived in Deleware.
If in Nevada I would vote for anyone running against Reid.
He is the most detestable kind of politician.
I would vote for Ronald McDonald or Burger King if they were running against Reid.
So Angle would get my vote, even if she were a witch, and if I were a Nevadan.

The problem and anti problem with the tea partiers is that they lack any central organization.
And those who are running for office are doing so mostly as republicans. And many of those are evangelical or activist social conservatives.
Which defeats the purpose I suppose.
Whatever.
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

Fyyr wrote:I support all parties which have a chance to chip away at the two majority parties.
Even a party that's worse than either of them?
Fyyr

Post by Fyyr »

Tell me a party that's worse. Then I'll decide.

The Nazi party could be worse, I suppose.
Black Panther party.
The Alkida party.
The ID party.
Sure those would be worse.
Zute

Post by Zute »

As near as I can tell the Tea Party is the Republican party but they're just further to the right than most Republicans.
Formerly known as Panamah
Zute

Post by Zute »

Fyyr

Post by Fyyr »

Zute wrote:As near as I can tell the Tea Party is the Republican party but they're just further to the right than most Republicans.
"The movement's primary concerns include, but are not limited to, cutting back the size of government,[18] lowering taxes,[19] reducing wasteful spending,[19] reducing the national debt and federal budget deficit,[18] and adherence to the United States Constitution.[20]"
From Wikipedia.

You're probably right.
Those things are in conflict with Democrat ideology.

I don't really see any coherent message from them though.
That comes from being a grassroots protest background impetus it seems.
Tax protestors to libertarians to social conservatives.
That makes sense too. The first Tea Party was made up of deists and christians and slave owners and abolitionists and tax protestors and traitors and seditionists and libertarians.
Zute

Post by Zute »

Republicans, and now Tea Partyers, always claim they're going to remove waste from government, yet I've never really seen any example of them doing it. We still end up with the same budget issues under Republicans as we do under Democrats, if not worse since they like to get us embroiled in expensive, pointless wars we can't win.

The biggest difference I see is Republicans still believe, even though it hasn't ever worked, that reducing taxes on the rich will somehow help poor people.

It's rather surprising what you didn't quote from the Wikipedia article:
More than half (52%) of Tea Party supporters told pollsters for CBS/New York Times that they think their own "income taxes this year are fair."[58]

82% do not believe that gay and lesbian couples should have the legal right to marry, and that about 52% believed that "lesbians and gays have too much political power."

Seventy percent want the federal government to aid in job creation. Also, nearly half think the government should limit Wall Street executive bonuses, according to the nationwide poll which was conducted between March 19 and March 22, 2010.[59]
Tee hee.