Maybe Bin Laden should have paid his Internet bill

The Druids Grove combined Off Topic Forum. Politics, science, random oddities - discuss them all here. - Low Moderation
Fyyr

Maybe Bin Laden should have paid his Internet bill

Post by Fyyr »

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/05/136005405 ... en?ps=cprs

All of this story was derived from Wikileaks.

Kinda proves the Jack Bauer shit works, donnit.
AbyssalMage

Re: Maybe Bin Laden should have paid his Internet bill

Post by AbyssalMage »

Fyyr wrote:Kinda proves the Jack Bauer shit works, donnit.
Im assuming your talking about Fox's TV series "24"? Sorry, didn't watch after like the 3rd episode of the 1st season because it glorified the, "Shoot first, ask questions later" mentality of the old westerners my dad and brother watched when I was younger.

Not only does it not prove anything, as the article stated, but makes it seem acceptable to use these techniques in the future. There is mountains of evidence that this type of torture (extreme interrogation techniques) doesn't work.There is a reason every (modern) country outlawed totrure (extreme interrogation techniques) because it wasn't effective or reliable. Mabye if GWB (and those who suggested this to him)had studied their history he (they) would of known that.

If you consider 7 years (2001-2008) of torture (extreme interrogation techniques) beneficial with no results other than a name (and a few low level terrorists killed)...I call it a waist of tax payer money. As it is, we waisted 7 years in the hunt for a person in all reality had made himself a self-prisoner sense 2005. Hell, all the intelligence we had said he was in some cave, it wasn't until August 2010 that we thought something different.

Thats why its better to get quality intelligence the first time. We were chasing ghosts in caves located in mountain tops because thats where 7+ years of intelligence said he was.
Tudamorf

Post by Tudamorf »

Fyyr wrote:http://www.npr.org/2011/05/05/136005405 ... en?ps=cprs

All of this story was derived from Wikileaks.

Kinda proves the Jack Bauer shit works, donnit.
So, the best justification you can find for almost a decade of torture is a causal assumption that might have led to a guy who really doesn't matter anymore?
sabrinaya

Post by sabrinaya »

What are the chances of McCain actually finding Bin Laden? As a Obama-Voter, I know that if we haven't been able to find Bin Laden so far, John McCain has an even lower chance, even though he's using it as a bribe so people will vote for him. What are your thoughts?
Zute

Post by Zute »

I feel like I'm in a time machine. Did you not hear we found him? He's dead.
Formerly known as Panamah
Yrys
TDG Admin
TDG Admin

Post by Yrys »

S/he was a spam bot account. I left the post but deleted the spam sig.
Fyyr

Post by Fyyr »

Mage,

Jack Bauer today is equivalent to the psychological Heinz question. That is the reason for the mention.

The Heinz question is thus.

Heinz is married to a woman, his wife.
She has an incurable imminently deadly condition.
That could be easily cured with a medicine from the local pharmacy.
The pharmacist gets the drug for $200 total cost. But sells it for $4000.
So the the medicine is very very expensive, and Heinz, being a man of meager means can not afford it.
But without this medicine, Heinz' wife will die soon.

So, Heinz breaks into the pharmacy, and steals the medicine. And saves his wife's life.

Is Heinz a good man or a bad man?
He broke the law, he stole something from someone else.
But he saved his wife's life.

The Jack Bauer thing is only a re-modernization of the same ethical dilemma. If torturing one man saves the lives of 10 people, is it ethical to torture that one man. Or thousand, or million. I don't care about the numbers exactly.

Tudamorf's point is, is it ok to torture one man for 10 years, to get to kill the man who killed 3000. Those 3000 are already dead. Torturing that one man will not prevent further deaths from that man who killed 3000. Which is a valid point.

Will the disseminated knowledge that we will torture your associates for 10 years to find you and kill you, if you plan and carry out terrorism, prevent future terrorism? That is the resulting ultimate question of the point. Rational people would believe that it will. But terrorist are not rational. So is that a good thing or a bad thing?